Thursday, March 8, 2018

Life as we know it

I know most people who are trying to keep a blog up start most of their blog posts....well if they haven't been blogging lately....with the words "I am really bad at this blogging thing, or I am really bad at keeping up" but this is very true with me. Last year I had a goal to blog once a week to keep people updated on our lives and I made it to week 3 and that was about it. At least I started right? Uggg that word....right? This has become Lehi's favorite word lately and it drives me NUTS!! He will say something then ask the question...right? For example, "Mom the sky is blue, right?" or "Mom, those trains are moving, right?" I have gotten to the point where I will ask him back, "Are they moving?" or "Is it blue?" Then he will tell me that I know nothing and that he is much smarter than me. He isn't even five yet and he thinks he is smarter than me..I am scared for when he is a teenager and truly thinks he is smarter than me. Emmagrace started it a little but hasn't really gotten a grasp on it quite yet. Her new love is to cry or make this really ridiculous frowning face every time she does not get her way or if she thinks you are mad at her. She gets sad at bed time because she says that she will miss me so I have to reassure her that when she wakes up in the morning I will be here and we can cuddle. I think the weekend that Drew and I went away for a soccer tournament and some alone time did a number on her. Sophie has gotten a little tude too and man can that girl throw a fit!! Today she laid on the floor screaming for a good 5-6 minutes because I took the chair that she was using to climb on the counter with. I still love her though and she has started telling me she wants to cuddle EVERY TIME she isn't getting her way or she is upset about something. It is like she knows my weakness and is trying to exploit it. Those darn kids!!!




I guess I should say some positives about things going on in our home. Lehi got into multiple charter schools!!! We are excited! We think we have settled on a school about 25 minutes away from where we are living now but it will be such a great opportunity for him. Plus he gets to wear a cute little uniform! Another Lehi achievement is that he has not had an accident for 4 days in a row! We even got to wear underwear today and didn't have an accident! He might actually go to Kindergarten potty trained! We have literally been praying for this! Now to move on to his little sister who is just as stubborn as he is. Emmagrace is excelling in school. She has about three letters left to learn before she passes them all off. We are concerned with her and what to do about school. The preschool that she is in now allowed her to start early but schools won't let her start early unless she tests in and we don't know if charter schools will do that so that has been a concern for us...I know it is still two years away but I don't want her to have to go to 3 years of preschool if she doesn't have to. Sophie is starting to find interest in every thing and getting to be a lot more fun. She is learning her colors and letters and will make sure you are watching her when she is trying to show her something. Drew has quit his full time job to become a director in the club that he is coaching. I was really nervous about it at first but I can see how happy he is and how fulfilled it makes him. He comes home from his "office hours" and is super excited about it. He also gets to spend more time with our family. When he was working his full time job and doing soccer we got to see him on Sundays and that was about it. Now we get to see him every morning and I am getting more help around the house which is nice. I am still working for a storage facility and gaining a lot of interesting stories. I am also making cakes on the side and reading some interesting books.

Valentines dates


This has nothing to do with our "life" right now but it is something that has had a giant impact on our lives recently and I have felt inspired lately to share. Back in January we were set to go out to Arkansas like we do every year for Christmas. Drew's grandparents were set to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary that same week so we were excited to be able to be out there to celebrate with them. Drew had a meeting that he was supposed to go to on Monday but we both had the feeling that he should try and move it so we could leave sooner. He was able to move it and we were able to leave Friday afternoon instead. We got there late on Saturday evening and were able to go and see a lot of old friends on Sunday at our old church building. On Monday evening we were just hanging out in Drew's parents home and got a phone call that we were all expecting but hoping that it wouldn't come. Drew's grandmother who he had been very close to was not expected to make it through that night and everyone needed to get to the hospital to say goodbye. As we were scrambling to decide if I should stay or go with the kids, I knew that taking the kids would not be a good idea and I am grateful that we didn't take them. As Drew and his parents and brother were on their way she ended up passing away. I know this was the hardest information so far that Drew has ever had to hear he was so close to her. I don't think it hit me as hard that night because I knew that it was coming and I had hoped that if it was going to happen soon it would happen while we were out there. During the visitation there was a moment at the end where we got to say our final goodbyes and as I was standing there and the only thing that I could think of was to tell her thank you. Thank you for giving a perfect example of unconditional love, thank you for teaching her family about Christ, thank you for teaching me about forgiveness and service. If it was not for her I know that Drew would not have been quite the man he is today and we might not be in the life that we are today. She was truly a testament of enduring to the end. I know that she was not my family by blood but even now I can feel her spirit and her love for our family. When days are hard and I think I am done I can feel her telling me that she had to deal with Drew and his dad as a teenager and I will make it.

This is the last picture we had taken with Nanny

No comments:

Post a Comment