Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I have officially made it through 3 days as a teacher and I haven't had a parent complain yet so we are on the right track! Molly and I decided that we are going to start a "Martha" Diary to jot down all of the funny incidents that happen to us with the kids while here in the village. I think by the time we are done we will have more than 3 notebooks full. I feel like I could fill one up with just the things that have happened this week.

Monday: The day started off really well! Molly and I got up and got ready and were really positive and excited for our first day as real teachers! We said a prayer before we left hoping that it would help us calm the nerves....well I hoped it would calm my nerves anyway. We got to school and I felt like I was running the rest of the day. I am sure all teachers feel that way but I am not used to it. I had many kids crying that morning because they didn't their moms to leave but as soon as we got them involved it wasn't too bad. It was really weird with the moms in the room and trying to teach the kids and getting them involved. The rest of the day went ok, except I had two kids while we were on the playground run off because they didn't want to be in school anymore. We got them back into the classroom and participating again so that was good. They really don't prepare you for this sort of thing in school. Someone told me that I have learned the science of teaching now I am learning the art. That is for sure!

Tuesday: The day started great! The kids listened through the lesson in the morning and participated!!! They also stayed in a line and were semi-quiet in the halls! After lunch was a different story! I think the lunch ladies put something in the lunch that makes them go CRAZY!! They didn't want to sit or listen to anything I had to say. We went into center time and it wasn't too bad but then a couple of kids wanted to go home and I wouldn't let them. They became very hostel and started throwing things and yelling. One yelled at me to shut up and another followed his example and started yelling too. I had another walk out the classroom and try to leave....the kids seem to have this tendency to want to leave my classroom. I am starting to think it is me. :-/ When I got them all calmed down they started to climb on my bookshelves. I didn't want them getting hurt and they were not listening to my words so I lifted them up (good thing I don't teach 6th grade...they could pick me up!) When I picked the student up they pretended to punch me, I was not going to take any of that so off we went down to the principal's office. They got sent home, one of the kids did come up and say sorry for the way they were acting under mom's instruction. I felt glad that the mom was on my side!! Yay for parent support! All while this was going on I had a few students that were sent home with lice. Only instead of going home they went to a friends house, so I had a parent call me wanting to know where their child was. Needless to say, I was really tired after school. I went home and took a nap!

Wednesday: The morning again was great! The kids did their work and participated with the lesson, it was amazing! I was so excited! I even got to challenge a couple of my students and they met the challenge!!! I was so happy and excited about it! Then lunch came....dun dun dun and again like yesterday they don't feel like they have to listen after lunch. So today we tried some different things, we stomped around shouting the days of the week....I will admit that was my favorite thing today. We also rapped the days of the week. I still had one kid that does not want to be at school. They came in halfway through the day and then wanted to leave right after lunch. I ended up telling them that they have only been here half the day and that the attitude needed to change, a little harsh but hopefully it helps. It seemed to for a little anyway. Today I got to talk to my mentor. She seems really nice and helpful! We talked a little about helping my class and I got some really great ideas. I am excited to see how they work out.

Well that has been my week so far, hopefully more GOOD adventures! Keep praying that I survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment